Author: Barbara Belknap
There is a lot of angst out there over the election. My Facebook page is overflowing with comments, suggestions, and the sharing of emotions from American women. There is commiseration from my friends in the United Kingdom, and I even got a note from Africa.
As a political junky, I am having a particularly tough time, so I looked for help and found an article by Mirah Curzer titled “How to #StayOutraged Without Losing Your Mind.” The League of Women Voters as an entity will most likely not be in the outraged category, but the League has a great deal to offer on the website at http://lwv.org/our-work. Without getting into partisan politics, I’ll share some of Mirah’s suggestions that I think are helpful and realistic.
- Unplug a bit. It’s ok.
- Focus your energy on one or two issues
- Make activism fun.
- Take care of the Basics – Go to therapy even if you don’t think you need it.
- Get enough sleep.
- Go to the doctor and the dentist. Take care of your body.
- Exercise any way that works for you.
- Spend time with friends.
- Get some me-time.
- Eat well.
- Get outside.
- Make your bed. Seriously, it takes like 2 minute max and makes such a difference.
- Oh, and call your mother (or sister), if you can.
Authored by Barbara Belknap
(Posted by J. Andree)