The League of Women Voters of Juneau (LWVJ), is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government. We work to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influence local public policy through education and advocacy.
The LWV has two separate and distinct purposes:
- Voters Service/Citizen Education: presenting unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process, and public policy issues. For these activities, the League use money from its Education Fund, which is a 501(c)(3) corporation (a nonprofit educational organization).
- Action/Advocacy: advocating for or against public policies in a nonpartisan manner after study by its members and adoption of positions. For these activities, the League uses its own funds as nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation (a membership organization).
The LWV adheres to the following core Principles:
- believes in representative government and in the individual liberties established in the Constitution of the United States.
- democratic government depends upon the informed and active participation of its citizens and requires that governmental bodies protect the citizen’s right to know by giving adequate notice of proposed actions, holding open meetings and making public records accessible.
- every citizen should be protected in the right to vote; every person should have access to free public education which provides equal opportunity for all; and no person or group should suffer legal, economic or administrative discrimination.
- efficient and economical government requires competent personnel, the clear assignment of responsibility, adequate financing and coordination among the different agencies and levels of government.
- responsible government should be responsive to the will of the people; government should maintain an equitable and flexible system of taxation, promote the conservation and development of natural resources in the public interest, share in the solution of economic and social problems which affect the general welfare, promote a sound economy, and adopt domestic policies which facilitate the solution of international problems.
- cooperation with other nations is essential in the search for solutions to world problems, and the development of international organization and international law is imperative in the promotion of world peace.