The LWV of Juneau is a 501(c)(3) non profit corporation therefore donations and membership fees are tax deductible.
Every person over the age of 16 is eligible to join the LWV. We have members who are men, non-citizens and high school students. Membership is free for students who are enrolled at least half time in school. While the name implies the organization is only for women, that has NOT been true for many years. The LWV of Juneau membership year runs from September 1 through August 31. Renewal reminder letters are mailed in September. To learn the status of your membership, call the Membership Chair at (907) 723-0226.
THE BENEFITS OF LWV MEMBERSHIP
By joining the Juneau League of Women Voters (LWVJ), you automatically also become a member of both the LWV of Alaska and the LWV of the United States. You will receive their information along with the quarterly Voter from the Juneau League. Through participation in LWVJ projects, you will:
- contribute valuable service to our community;
- gain knowledge and experience through the study and discussion of timely and important issues;
- discover new interests, develop new skills;
- learn all about how our community is governed and what its crucial issues are;
- make professional contacts and develop lasting friendships as you meet others in League who share your interests;
- know that you are adding your voice to a powerful force for voting rights and good government across the United State.
EXPECTATION OF LWV MEMBERS
It’s entirely up to you! Some members choose to support the LWV only with their annual dues. Some people choose only to make a donation, and don’t join. However, your membership adds to our organization credibility and helps us exercise the political influence needed to build a voice for citizens and be a force for change. Therefore, we encourage all donors to also become members.
The LWV is involved in a broad spectrum of issues and concerns; you can become involved in as many (or as few) as you have interest in or have time for by participating in any of our committees:
- Voter Services;
- Fund Raising;
- Program (Study) on Issues; and
- Action on Issues
The Juneau LWV does not have regularly scheduled membership meetings; however, all members are invited to come to the monthly Board meetings which are announced on the website calendar. Various events and other meetings are scheduled throughout the year, publicized on our website and Facebook page. Members are invited to all of these.
The LWV of Juneau Member Handbook provides a basic overview of the organization’s operating principles and explains some “League Lingo” of terminology commonly used among members.